3 Best Password Managers For Linux Desktop

A password manager is a useful tool for creating unique passwords and storing them securely so that you don’t have to remember them. Check out the best password managers available for Linux desktop.

Passwords are everywhere. Websites, forums, web apps and what not, you need to create accounts and password for them. The trouble comes with the password. Keeping the same password for various accounts poses a security risk because if one of the websites is compromised, hackers try the same email-password combination on other websites as well.

But keeping unique passwords for all the new accounts means that you have to remember all of them and it’s not possible for normal humans. This is where password managers come to your help.

Password Managers for Linux

1. Bitwarden

Bitwarden is one of the most impressive password managers for Linux. I’ll be honest that I didn’t know about this until now – and I’m already making the switch from LastPass. I was able to easily import the data from LastPass without any issues and had no trouble whatsoever.

It is an open source solution – so there’s nothing shady about it. You can even host it on your own server and create a password solution for your organization.

In addition to that, you get all the necessary features like 2FA for login, import/export options for your credentials, fingerprint phrase (a unique key), password generator, and more.

Key Highlights:

• Open Source
  • Free for personal use (paid options available for upgrade)
  • End-to-end encryption for Cloud servers
  • Cross-platform
  • Browser Extensions available
  • Command-line tools

Bitwarden

2. Buttercup

Yet another open-source password manager for Linux. Buttercup may not be a very popular solution – but if you are looking for a simpler alternative to store your credentials, this would be a good start.

Unlike some others, you do not have to be skeptical about its cloud servers because it sticks to offline usage only and supports connecting cloud sources like OwnCloud, Nextcloud, and WebDAV.

Key Highlights:

• Open Source
  • Free, with no premium options.
  • Cross-platform
  • Browser Extensions available

Buttercup

3. KeePassXC

KeePassXC is a community fork of KeePassX – which was originally a Linux port for KeePass on Windows.

Unless you’re not aware, KeePassX hasn’t been maintained for years – so KeePassXC is a good alternative if you are looking for a dead-simple password manager. KeePassXC may not be the most prettiest or fanciest password manager, but it does the job.

It is secure and open source as well. I think that makes it worth a shot, what say?

Key Highlights:

• Open Source
  • Simple password manager
  • Cross-platform
  • No mobile support

KeePassXC

Reference Links: https://itsfoss.com/

2 Likes

Pass is an open source, command line password manager that saves passwords in an encrypted GPG file organized in various folder hierarchies. It uses this method to save passwords because of its adherence to the Unix philosophy .

It features support for extensions, integration for Git , bash completion, password generation, password import/export, and GUI components provided by members of the open source community.

https://www.passwordstore.org/