Hosting free software services for the general public

Helping people move to free software on the client side - on desktops with Debian, on mobile with LineageOS, using Mozilla Firefox etc. is only half the battle.

People who use Debian still have to depend on a lot of non-free Javascript in the browser and non-free code running on the server side. And these services abuse the data that they collect for surveillance and manipulating people’s behavior on a large scale.

I think Swecha needs to step up and help the general public with hosting freedom-respecting web services. We can follow Framasoft’s model for this. Start a crowdfunding campaign at first and then take recurring donations.

We can serve localized applications in Telugu and also help the spread of Telugu in the digital space.

4 Likes

Found an inspiring story. One person called Angristan is hosting a bunch of public services all by himself.

2 Likes

:+1:

We can follow Framasoft’s model for this. Start a crowdfunding campaign at first and then take recurring donations.

Completely agree. We must go forward with it and obviously it gets really bad if many people get addicted and dragged to centralised networks thanks to network effect.

:+1:

Thats a great idea. I have started a thread at the L10n section. Hosting telugu decentralised services

Please reply and add to the above.

Framasoft gave detailed documentation on how to host each of their services, but it’s all in French.
https://framacloud.org/fr/cultiver-son-jardin/

2 Likes

joseph

Jul '18

Helping people move to free software on the client side - on desktops with Debian, on mobile with LineageOS, using Mozilla Firefox etc. is only half the battle.

People who use Debian still have to depend on a lot of non-free Javascript in the browser and non-free code running on the server side. And these services abuse the data that they collect for surveillance and manipulating people’s behavior on a large scale.

I think Swecha needs to step up and help the general public with hosting freedom-respecting web services. We can follow Framasoft’s model for this. Start a crowdfunding campaign at first and then take recurring donations.

We can serve localized applications in Telugu and also help the spread of Telugu in the digital space.

https://discuss.swecha.org/