Installation of WiFi drivers

Here we can learn the installation of WiFi drivers in debian

1 Like

Yeah I have issue in installation of WiFi drivers.when I booted my system to Linux can anyone say how to install WiFi drivers

2 Likes

Yes you can install the wifi drivers in your system
1.update your source list.
2.Open terminal and use the command:$ lspci in the terminal
3.you can see the network which is there in your system
4. Copy the network used in your system and paste the it in browser(add a word that how to install wifi drivers ).
5.follow the command given there .
6. Reboot your system and then check wifi drivers are installed are not.

3 Likes

This may help the people who are facing WiFi Drivers issue in HP laptops.
1.To Check the list of drivers installed on your Linux PC use this command :- $ lspci
2.If you find any RTL drivers in list, then Download your pc compatible drivers in pc and follow as below steps.
For example : RTL8723DE drivers

1. Make sure you have git installed. You can install git using apt install git or through synaptic/software manager. If you want to use dkms to make and install the driver, make sure that dkms also is installed. You can download and install using below commands, in a terminal:

:~$ sudo apt update && sudo apt install git dkms

1. The RTL8723DE driver is in the git extended branch. So,

Open a terminal:

:~$ cd Downloads

:~$ git clone -b extended --single-branch https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git unofficial

:~$ cd rtlwifi_new

Now, either you can run:
:~/Downloads/rtlwifi_new$ make
:~/Downloads/rtlwifi_new$ sudo make install

OR use dkms to build and manage the modules:

:~/Downloads/rtlwifi_new$ sudo dkms add ../rtlwifi_new
:~/Downloads/rtlwifi_new$ sudo dkms build rtlwifi-new/0.6
:~/Downloads/rtlwifi_new$ sudo dkms install rtlwifi-new/0.6
:~/Downloads/rtl-new/rtlwifi_new$ sudo modprobe -v rtl8723de ant_sel=2

^^ That should work. If firmware error is shown, reboot and will work. Make sure, you have linux-headers for the respective kernel(s) and build-essential packages installed.

For me, ant_sel=2 shows the maximum WiFi signal gain. So, I’ve added below lines in a separate conf file:
:~$ sudo /bin/sh -c 'echo "options rtl8723de ant_sel=2" >> /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723de.conf'

6 Likes

thank q bro it has really helped me a lot at the time of Installation of WIFI drivers …:grinning: i tryed it for 12 hours hardly to install it

4 Likes

Hi,
I am trying to install drivers for a “RTL8811CU” but couldn’t find a way to do so,
I clone from here “https://github.com/brektrou/rtl8821CU
in the package dir i did “make”, but there are errors
plz help, i am a NOOB
Thanks

1 Like

Hello Srujan,
Specify

• The Operating system
  • The kernel Version
  • The error that you have got while building the file
1 Like

We can also install the Debian wifi drivers directly from debian wiki. I have installed like that only.

1 Like

Yeah the wiki has most of the instructions for Wireless drivers. Building from source is pointless especially when non-free repo of debian is full of these wireless drivers.

1 Like